Barmera, known as the aquatic playground of the Riverland, is situated on the shores of beautiful Lake Bonney, and is the ideal holiday resort for the water sport enthusiast.
The youngest of the Riverland’s irrigation towns, Barmera took its name from an Aboriginal word meaning water place.
First discovered in 1838 by Joseph Hawdon, Lake Bonney, with its sloping, sandy beaches is ideal for swimming, water skiing, sailing, speedboat racing and fishing. Paddle boats and surfboards may be hired at the Lake and there are a number of boat ramps on the foreshore.
An ideal climate, safe swimming for children, picnic and barbecue areas, magnificent scenery, and abundant bird life, all combine to provide an ideal holiday setting.
Activites and Experiences at Barmera
- Skiing – Water
- Sports Participate
- Sports Viewing
- Ambulance Langdon Terrace
- Banking Facilities BankSA, Westpac, Commonwealth Bank agent at Post Office and Australian Central Credit Union agent at Shaw’s Electrical.
- Bottled Gas BP – Barwell Avenue
Mitre 10 – Anderson Street
Beech Hardware and Building Supplies – Tonkin Avenue
- Chemist Barmera Pharmacy, 20 Barwell Avenue
- Licensed Club Barmera Hotel Motel in Barwell Avenue, Barmera Monash Football Club in Lakeside Drive, Barmera Golf Club, Riverland Greyhound Racing Club, Cobdogla and District Club.
- Service Club Lions, Masonic and Rotary, Probus, Penguins
- Dentist Barmera Dental Clinic, 36 Dickerson Street
- Fuel Mobil, Sturt Highway
BP, Barwell Avenue
Shell, 69 Tonkin Avenue
Riverland Tyre and Mag Centre, 57 Tonkin Avenue
- Hospital Hawdon Street
- Public Bar Barmera Hotel Motel, Barwell Avenue
- Medical Facilities Barmera Medical Clinic, Hawdon Street
- Newsagent Barmera Newsagency, Barwell Avenue
- Police Five Scott Avenue
- Post Office One Barwell Avenue
- Supermarket Big River Supermarket, Barwell Avenue, Clark’s Foodland, Barwell Avenue
- Takeaway Food Bonney Deli, Barwell Avenue
Supadeli, Barwell Avenue
Butterfly Cakes, Barwell Avenue
Moonlite Cafe, Bice Street
Bluebird Cafe, Queen Elizabeth Drive
- Places of Worship Anglican, Catholic, Church of Christ, Lutheran and Uniting.
- Water based