Soak up the history and heritage that surrounds the legendary township of Longreach, home of the Australian Stockman’s Hall of Fame, Qantas Founders Outback Museum and a wealth of entertainment and warm, country hospitality!
Why not meet a few locals and book a room in an old country pub. Camp under the stars and breathe in the fresh night air, or simply enjoy the comfort of an air-conditioned motel.
Take a sunset river cruise on the Thomson, see farm animals and horses on a tour of the Longreach Pastoral College or soak up the smells and tastes of an outdoor barbecue. Longreach and district is home to a variety of man made and natural attractions. The award winning tour operators and guides will guarantee an outback experience that will keep you coming back for more!
‘Pioneering country’ best describes Longreach and its environs and it was for this reason that it was chosen as the site for the Australian Stockman’s Hall of Fame, built as a tribute to the pioneers – explorers, stockmen, Aboriginal tribes, poets, writers and artists – all of whom contributed in some way to the history and lifestyle of Outback Australia.
Longreach was settled in the 1870s and is now the largest town in the Central West. Historically, Longreach is also known for its role with Qantas. The hangar at the airport was the first operational base for an airline which began life in Queensland’s Outback and grew into our first international carrier. It was in this hangar that Australia’s first six aircraft were built between 1922 and 1934. The hangar now houses the Qantas Founders Outback Museum.
Activites and Experiences at Longreach
- City Sightseeing
- Cruising On the Thomson River.
- Farm/Station activity
- Train Ride Spirit of the Outback.
- Airport QantasLink and MacAir Airlines.
- Automatic Teller Machine
- Banking Facilities Commonwealth Bank, National Australia Bank and Westpac.
- Bottled Gas Swap’n'Go at service stations.
- Licensed Club
- Service Club
- Coach Stop Greyhound Australia service from Brisbane.
- Electronic Funds Transfer at Point Of Sale
- Fuel Petrol, diesel and autogas.
- Hospital Longreach base hospital Public and Private.
- Public Bar
- Mechanical Services Royal Automobile Club of Queensland (RACQ).
- Medical Facilities
- Post Office
- Public Telephone
- Rail Terminal Queensland Rail ‘Spirit of the Outback’ service twice a week from Brisbane.
- Sporting Facilities
- Supermarket All general services.
- Swimming Pool
- Takeaway Food
- Tennis Court
- Visitor Centres Longreach Visitor Information Centre, Qantas Park.
- Places of Worship
- Aussie Lifestyle
- Caravan and Camping
- Cruise A sunset cruise on the Thomson River.
- Fishing Thomson River.
- RTN, QH and National Distributors (TQ)
- Empty Nesters
- Gay and Lesbian
- Meetings Incentive Conventions
- Outback Queensland Tourism
Nearest Airport: Longreach
Accommodation In Longreach
Discover some of the accommodation in and around Longreach