The Margaret River region is a superb blend of good living and stunning nature just three and a half hours’ drive south of Perth.
Visitors to the area, one of Western Australia’s most popular destinations, should be prepared to indulge in the gastronomic delights of worldclass wineries and gourmet vineyard restaurants.
Responsible for producing less than one percent of Australia’s wine but over 15 percent of Australia’s premium wine, the 60 or so wineries in the region open for cellar door sales and tastings offer the visitor an impressive selection. Boutique beer breweries, exquisite cheese product, jam and condiment producers, a marron (freshwater crayfish) farm, olive groves and even chocolate and fudge factories enhance the gourmet experiences. Couple this with an immense array of art and craft galleries, and the area offers visitors a fabulous opportunity to experience the work of local producers and artists.
Dining out in the Margaret River area is a gastronomical delight. Many acclaimed chefs have been drawn to the area by the high quality fresh local produce and the worldclass wines of the region. There is an abundance of different styles of cuisine with every taste catered for.
Margaret River is host to The Margaret River Wine Region Festival held annually in November.
Wine and food aside, the area is blessed with an abundance of natural attractions including a myriad of underground caves (open for public tours), pristine white beaches, pockets of beautiful forest and a multitude of bush and coastal walk trails. The rugged coastline is an example of nature at its finest and ocean views can be enjoyed from many lookout points. Other activities include canoeing along the Margaret River, adventure activities such as abseiling and rock climbing, whale watching off Augusta and great fishing in the ocean and river.
Massive surf has long been a major draw for the area and watching the local surfers take on the ocean is a spectacular sight. Every year the world class surfing competition, the Salomon Masters Margaret River Classic, gets the town buzzing with excitement and visitors.
The region is highly accessible, with flights to both Margaret River and Busselton airstrips, regular bus services from Perth, and a train to bus link running through Bunbury.
Luxury guest houses, bed and breakfasts, beachside apartments, selfcontained chalets, hotels, motels, resorts, farm stays, caravan parks, back packer hostels and camping grounds cater for everyone’s accommodation needs.
The Margaret River region is a superb blend of good living and nature. Be prepared for indulgence in world-class wineries and gourmet vineyard restaurants.
Responsible for producing less than one per cent of Australia’s wine – but over 15 per cent of Australia’s premium wine – the 50 or so wineries in the Margaret River region are open for cellar-door sales and tastings daily.
Boutique beer breweries, exquisite cheeses, jams and condiment producers, freshwater crayfish farms, olive groves, and even chocolate and fudge factories, also add to the gourmet experience.
An immense array of art and craft galleries in the area means visitors also have a fabulous opportunity to experience the work of local producers and artists.
The area is blessed with an abundance of natural attractions, including caves, pristine white beaches, pockets of beautiful forest, and a multitude of bush tracks and walking trails along the spectacular rugged coastline.
Other activities include canoeing along the Margaret River, abseiling, rock climbing, whale watching and exceptional river and ocean fishing. The area’s massive surf has also long been a major drawcard, and even if you don’t participate you can always watch.
Activites and Experiences at Margaret River
- Electronic Funds Transfer at Point Of Sale
- Adventure Unusual and exciting experience or an endurance race consisting of a variety of adventure activities
- The Arts Relating to the Arts (Film, Theatre, Drama)
- Beach A beach attraction is a beach area that is recognised for its scenic beauty, recreational opportunities, environmental state, and/or fauna population. Recreational vehicles can be driven on a number of beaches around Australia
- Rural/Country Relating to the rural/country lifestyle (ie agricultural or pastoral)
- Eco Tourism Relating to the natural environment, its protection and conservation. Product fitting this experiencee have been awarded an Eco Tourism Accreditation
- Environmental Relating to the natural environment, its protection and conservation
- Farm/Station On a farm or station with the option to participate in the activities of the property.
- Fishing Related to any fishing activities
- Flora and Fauna Relating to Plant and Animal Life
- Food and Wine A vineyard is a man-made facility for the distribution of wine. A winery attraction offers wine tasting and the opportunity to purchase.
- Golf Playing or watching Golf
- Historic/Heritage Nation’s historic buildings, monuments, countryside etc, especially when regarded worthy of preservation
- Honeymoon Holiday marketed towards honeymoon couples
- Indulgence/Luxury Anything conducive to sumptuous living
- National Park A national park is an area that is recognised for its natural features that are protected by controlled access and usage
- Nature based Relating to the natural environment
- Romance Ideal, sentimental or fantastic view of reality
- Shopping Organised shopping or shopping at well know retail outlets
- Sport Descending a vertical cliff or wall by means of a rope attached to a harness
- Water based Relating to any activity based on water
- Wildflower The flower of an uncultivated plant
- Wildlife Animals living in their natural environment or attractions that provide visitors with the opportunity to view a variety of wildlife
Nearest Airport: Perth
Accommodation In Margaret River
Discover some of the accommodation in and around Margaret River
- Adamsons Riverside Accommodation
- All Seasons Margaret River
- Basildene Manor
- Bettenay’s Redgum Ridge Chalets and Loft
- Bushy Lake Chalets
- Bussells Bushland Cottages
- Comfort Inn Grange on Farrelly
- Ellensbrook Cottages
- Forest Rise Eco Retreat
- Forte Leeuwin Apartments
- Frais Margaret River
- Gilgara Retreat
- Harmony Forest Accommodation and Vineyard
- Heritage Trail Lodge
- Hilltop Studios
- Honeymoon Hill
- Island Brook Estate
- Margaret House
- Margaret River Chalets
- Margaret River Farmstay Chalets
- Margaret River Holiday Cottages
- Margaret River Holiday Suites
- Margaret River Resort
- Margaret River Waterfall Cottages
- Margarets Beach Resort
- Margarets Forest
- Merribrook Retreat Margaret River
- Ocean Vines Retreat
- Peppermint Brook Cottages
- Peppi Lane Apartment
- Pinda Lodge
- Prevelly Villas
- Quest Margaret River
- Redgate Farmstay
- Riverglen Chalets
- Riverview Tourist Park
- Rosewood Guest House
- Silversprings and Banksia Cottage
- Surfpoint Resort
- Taunton Farm Holiday Park
- Traill Penthouses, The
- Willy Bay Resort