Adavale is located approximately 100 kilometres north east of Quilpie. The township was proclaimed on 3 December 1872 and by 1897 five hotels soothed the dusty throats of travellers and locals alike. The mail coach Cobb and Co stopped in the town on its way from Charleville via Cheepie to Windorah.
The name Adavale has been said to derive from the horse and buggy days when in 1870 a Mr Stevens, who later became Member of Warrego 1879 to 1922 and State Treasurer, was out driving with his wife when the veil from her hat blew away. It is believed he called out “there goes Ada’s veil” hence the crossing was Ada’s Veil Crossing and subsequently Adavale.
Today Adavale is a much smaller township with a population of only twelve people. An Artesian bore supplies water and the town has rural power. The town is well worth a look as it is a town filled with history, stories and memories.
The locals have done a marvellous job celebrating their history, culture and dry Outback humour. A mini museum, in the old butcher house, displays local relics from more than a century ago.
Activites and Experiences at Adavale
- Fossicking Opals are found in the region. Please contact the visitor centre in Quilpie for licences, camping and tour details.
- Public Bar
- Supermarket General Store with liquor licence and light refreshments.
- Aussie Lifestyle
- Fishing Great yellowbelly and yabby fishing spots in local waterholes and channels.
- RTN, QH and National Distributors (TQ)
Nearest Airport: Quilpie