This historic town named after the village of Appin in Scotland, dates back to 1811 and was the fifth village in the colony. In 1824, explorers, Hume and Hovell commenced their expidition to Port Phillip from this district and a monument stands on the road from Campbelltown commemorating the commencement of that journey. Appin offers the visitor a chance to view several early building including the Appin public school, the first school built under Henry Parkes’ Public Schools Act. The rugged beatury of Wollondilly is a feature of the drive between Appin and Douglas Park, through Broughtons Pass and crossing the Cataract River. Two coal mines, which also operate an innovative methane powered electricity generating system, have been an important factor in the town’s growth.
Activites and Experiences at Appin