Binalong was an area settled by Europeans in the 1820’s, decades before official records by Colonial authorities became apparent. Originally called “Bennelong”, the name was changed at the suggestion of local residents to Binalong, an Aboriginal word meaning “Towards a High Place”.
With its close proximity to “Lambing Flat” (Young) goldfields, Binalong was an obvious stopping place for Cobb & Co coaches and equally, a lucrative area for bushranger operations. Infamous bushranger “Flash” Johnny Gilbert, was shot dead by troopers in a nearby paddock on the 13th May, 1865. His grave is on a hillside close to town along the Harden Road.
Australia’s best-known poet, Andrew Barton Paterson, better known as “Banjo” spent his early childhood at “Illagong”, a local property between Binalong and Yass. His writings in later life clearly express his love for the local people and lifestyle of the area. His father’s grave can be found in the local cemetery. Illalong quarry provided much of the rock needed for the construction of Burrinjuck Dam.
Presenting a balance mix of buildings, Binalong has an old Cobb & Co Inn (c1840), Police Station and Courthouse (c1883), local bluestone Mechanics Institute (c1912) and Old Railway Station (c1883). Also the Roman Catholic church St Patricks (c1913) which replaced the original structure of 1861 and the Anglican Church St Thomas (c1866).
Activites and Experiences at Binalong
- Automatic Teller Machine
- Licensed Club
- Electronic Funds Transfer at Point Of Sale
- Public Bar
- Post Office
- Public Telephone
- Sporting Facilities
- Swimming Pool
- Takeaway Food
- Tennis Court
- Places of Worship
Nearest Airport: Canberra (120km)