Boulia is located 300 kilometres south of Mount Isa at the junction of the Diamantina and Kennedy Development Roads. The town’s fame largely rests with its association to the Min Min Light, a strange spectral light that can appear, hover, disappear and reappear with an eerie will of its own. Most often described as a hovering luminescent ball, the light has teased travellers, never approaching close enough to be clearly examined. Scientists are baffled to explain this phenomenon.
But there’s much more to be experienced in Boulia. Spectacular outback vistas and a myriad of native flora and fauna set the scene for what should be a memorable visit, rich in history with fossils, culture and a pioneering past.
The first Europeans to pass through the area were Burke and Wills. Burke gave his name to the river that the town stands next to. The town was established by the shopkeeper, Ernest Henry, in 1876 and was sited on the ‘Bullu Bullu’ waterhole of the Burke River. Halfway between Windorah and Camooweal, Boulia was an important stopping point on the stock route. Boulia is regarded as the capital of the ‘Channel Country’. Follow in the footsteps of Burke and Wills in the comfort of your vehicle along fully sealed roads and serviced roads through some of the most stunning outback vistas in Australia.
Millions of years ago, when inland Queensland was tropical, herds of dinosaurs roamed the region. Boulia’s Fossil Museum exhibits a fascinating look at the prehistoric.
A land of contrasts and vibrant colour, Boulia Shire encompasses over 61,000 square kilometres of some of Australia’s most stunning scenery. Fishing, sightseeing and birdwatching can all be enjoyed within the Shire.
Activites and Experiences at Boulia
- Fossicking Whilst no precious metals or gemstones are found within the Boulia Shire, the impressive Calcareous Concretions or moonstones are.
- Sports Participate
- Airport MacAir Regional Airlines.
- Banking Facilities QCCU office located at the Shire office, Commonwealth Bank facilities at the post office.
- Chemist Some supplies available at the Min Min Lights Store.
- Electronic Funds Transfer at Point Of Sale
- Mechanical Services Royal Automobile Club of Queensland (RACQ).
- Medical Facilities Fully equipped clinic.
- Post Office
- Supermarket Groceries available at the Min Min Lights Store.
- Visitor Centres Min Min Encounter and Visitor Information Centre, Herbert Street.
- Aussie Lifestyle
- Caravan and Camping
- Fishing Catch Yellowbelly and Black Bream in the numerous fishing holes located in the Boulia Shire and Burke River.
- Paranormal Min Min Lights.
- RTN, QH and National Distributors (TQ)
- Empty Nesters
- Gay and Lesbian
- Meetings Incentive Conventions
- Outback Queensland Tourism
Nearest Airport: Boulia