Bowning is a small village situated 15kms from Yass on the Hume Highway. Hume and Hovell mentioned the landmark of Bowning Hill in their 1824 journal. The village of Bowning was one of the earliest settlements in the district, developing as it did because of its location on the Port Phillip Road, now known as the Hume Hwy.
The village grew during laying of the railway in 1876, serviced town for supplies during building of Burrinjuck Dam.
On the left as you enter Bowning from Yass is the Catholic Church. The stone for this church was laid on 24th October, 1909. A short distance on is St James Anglican Church, built in 1879.
Other historic buildings include the “Troopers Cottage” on the Binalong Road and the old Cobb & Co Coaching Station in Bogolong Street. The coaching station was built sometime between 1850 and 1870. The local school was amongst the earliest established schools in inland New South Wales. It was founded in 1849. The original buildings have since been replaced.
When the railway line came through in the 1870’s, coaching inns declined. The introduction of a railway would have seen a rise in the population as fettlers made their homes in the village. Bowing Railway Station was built in 1876 and closed in 1992. The Commercial Hotel was built in the 1870’s.
On the outskirts of the village is Bowning Hill with an altitude of 796 metres above sea level. Reference was made to the outstanding landmark in the Journal of Hume & Hovell during the journey of exploration in 1824.
Activites and Experiences at Bowning
- Bottled Gas
- Electronic Funds Transfer at Point Of Sale
- Public Bar
- Post Office
- Public Telephone
- Sporting Facilities
- Places of Worship
Nearest Airport: Canberra (82kms)