Cable Beach is renowned as one of the most stunning beaches in the world, with twenty-two kilometres of pristine white sands fringing the turquoise waters of the Indian Ocean. Washed clean every day by tides that can reach over nine metres, Cable Beach provides the ideal safe environment for swimming and relaxation. Caution however is required between November and March when stingers may be present.
Cable Beach takes its name from the telegraph cable that was laid between Broome and Java in 1889 and today it provides the perfect location to enjoy the magnificent Broome sunsets.
There are a variety of watersport activities available.
For a really unique experience you can join the sunset camel rides that operate daily along the beach.
Beautiful Cable Beach
Broome simply oozes with colour. It’s Western Australia’s secret getaway – right on the doorstep of the Indian Ocean and the gateway to Australia’s last frontier of pristine wilderness – the Kimberley.
From its rough and tumble, romantic pearling history and the cosmopolitan character of Chinatown, to the turquoise waters, red sandstone cliffs and the endless expanse of white sand at Cable Beach-the colours and moods of Broome will capture your soul. You’ll never want to leave.
Broome owes its existence to the Pinctada Maxima – the world’s largest pearl oyster shell – discovered in Roebuck Bay in 1861. The giant pinctada shells caused a sensation overseas and soon a melting pot of nationalities flocked to the shores of Broome in the hope of making their fortune. Japanese, Malays and Koepangers joined the Aboriginal pearl divers, whilst the Chinese became the shopkeepers in town.
Today, remnants of Broome’s exotic past are everywhere. The town’s multicultural society ensures a wonderful array of gourmet cuisines, colourful characters and cultural influences.
Pearling still remains a thriving industry and the world famous South Sea pearls feature in Chinatown’s string of pearl galleries.
Broome’s climate is also something to boast about with warm sunny days, balmy nights and spectacular storms during the tropical summer season. Not to mention the unforgettable spectacle of sunset on Cable Beach!
Activities and Experiences at Cable Beach
- Beach A beach attraction is a beach area that is recognised for its scenic beauty, recreational opportunities, environmental state, and/or fauna population. Recreational vehicles can be driven on a number of beaches around Australia
- Marine Related to aquatic activities such as swimming, diving, snorkelling etc
- Relaxation Leisure
Accommodation at Cable Beach and Broome
Discover some of the accommodation at Cable Beach and around Broome
- Bali Hai Resort
- Bayside Holiday Apartments
- Blue Seas Resort
- Broome Beach Resort
- Broome Motel
- Cable Beach Club Resort Broome
- Cable Beachside Resort
- Coco Eco
- Kimberley Klub
- Kooljaman at Cape Leveque
- Mangrove Resort, The
- McAlpine House – Boutique Hotel
- Mercure Inn Continental Broome
- Moonlight Bay Quality Suites
- Ocean Lodge Broome
- Palm Grove Holiday Resort
- Rendezvous Sanctuary Resort Cable Beach Broome, The
- Seashells Resort Broome
- Tropicana Inn Broome
Tours In Broome
Discover some of the tours options around Broome
- Astro Tours
- Aussie Off Road Tours
- Australian Adventure Travel
- Broome Aviation Pty Ltd
- Broome Hovercraft
- Broome Sightseeing Tours
- Broome Top Deck Tours
- Coral Princess Cruises
- Discover the Kimberley Tours
- Flying Fish Charters
- Great Escape Charter Company
- Kimberley Birdwatching Tours
- Kimberley Catamaran Cruises
- Kimberley Discovery Cruises
- Kimberley Dreams
- Kimberley Sailing Safaris
- Kimberley to Ocean
- Kimberley Wild Expeditions
- Kimberley Wilderness Adventures
- King Leopold Air
- Matrix Ocean Adventures
- North Star Cruises Australia
- Northwest Tagalong Tours
- Outback Ballooning Pty Ltd
- Over The Top Adventure Tours
- Pearl Sea Coastal Cruises
- Red Sky Cruises
- Swagman Outback Safaris and Swagman Tours
- Western Blue Sea Kayak and Broome Adventure Company
- Willie Creek Pearl Farm
- Willie Pearl Lugger Cruises