Cecil Plains is a township on the banks of the Condamine River, in an agricultural and timber producing area of the Darling Downs.
Queensland Cotton’s Cecil Plains Gin is a modern six stand plant about five kilometre west of the township. It operates from April to August ginning up to 1500 bales per day.
Historic Cecil Plains Station started as a single slab cottage built by Henry and his brother Sydneham on the Condamine River. In later years Ludwig Leichhardt often sat on the homestead verandah discussing his expeditions with the two brothers. The Homestead now operates as a bed and breakfast and is also a great stop for groups for morning and afternoon teas.
Activites and Experiences at Cecil Plains
- Art and Craft making Quality, functional and decorative hand thrown pottery by award winning local potter, Shirley Wilkins.
- Birdwatching In vast numbers a wide variety of birds thrive in a range of habitats from river systems to lakelands, grasslands and the forests. About 240 species of birds have been recorded.
- Camping On the Condamine River.
- Canoeing On the Condamine River.
- Cooking Ned’s Corner Roo Retreat for authentic camp oven cooking.
- Driving Tourist Drives lead visitors through Cecil Plains.
- Farm/Station activity
- Fishing – Estuary
- Flora In spring and early summer, many wild flowers provide a colourful display, especially on the road side between Yallara and Cattle Creek on the Moonie-Tara Road. See the display in the Cecil Plains Library.
- Gambling Poker Machines at the pub.
- Golfing Cecil Plains Golf Club.
- Sports Participate Swimming, tennis, soccer, cricket and golf.
- Bush Tucker Ned’s Corner Roo Retreat.
- Animal Viewing Ned’s Corner Roo Retreat.
- Boat Ramp
- Electronic Funds Transfer at Point Of Sale Cecil Plains Store.
- Public Bar
- Post Office
- Public Telephone
- Sporting Facilities
- Swimming Pool
- Tennis Court
- Aussie Lifestyle
- Caravan and Camping
- Educational Cotton Gin.
- Farm/Station Cotton and Grain.
- Flora and Fauna
- Historic/Heritage Cecil Plains Homestead.
- Homestay Cecil Plains Homestead.
- Industry/Mining, Agriculture Cotton Gin and three Cypress Pine sawmills.
- Nature based
- RTN, QH and National Distributors (TQ)
Nearest Airport: Millmerran Unlicensed
Accommodation In Cecil Plains
Discover some of the accommodation in and around Cecil Plains