The spice of Sydney’s life
Located adjacent to Darling Harbour, Haymarket is home to Sydney’s Chinatown, the city’s Chinese community having settled there in large numbers in the second half of the 19th Century. Fittingly it is filled with food halls, noodle bars and grocers specialising in genuine Asian cuisine. The spirited Spanish Quarter is also located in Haymarket and is the place to sip Sangria, try tapas and watch or participate in traditional Flamenco dancing.
Bargain shopping is a key feature of Haymarket, which neighbours Sydney’s Darling Harbour. Located in a huge warehouse space Paddy’s Market is Sydney’s biggest traditional market offering just about everything a keen bargain hunter could want including clothes, shoes, souvenirs and fresh produce. Along with its numerous cuisine and entertainment options, Haymarket offers a wide range of accommodation and is easily linked to the city centre by bus, monorail, train and is a stop on the light rail service.
The area is fast becoming a late night entertainment venue with restaurants opening till late. The popular Friday night City Night Market (December to June) sees Sydneysiders flock to the area to indulge in a mix of cultural vibrancy, entertainment, street theatre, fine food, alfresco shopping and outdoor dining.
- Catch the monorail or Sydney’s light rail to buy local produce and great bargains at Paddy’s. Market
- Hunt for a designer discount at one of the numerous factory outlet stores within Market City shopping centre.
- Experience a unique brunch with locals at a food hall for Yum Cha or a choice of twenty four authentic Asian cuisines.
- Wander through the local Chinese supermarkets.
- Catch live music at Cafe Nine, or live musicals and international performances at the Capitol Theatre and Sydney Entertainment Centre.
- Experience Eastern traditions by watching as remedies are prepared by Chinese herbalists.
Activites and Experiences at Chinatown precinct
- Automatic Teller Machine
- Banking Facilities
- Currency Exchange
- Electronic Funds Transfer at Point Of Sale
- Post Office
- Public Telephone
- Takeaway Food