Happening nightlife for the streetwise
Just east of the city centre, Darlinghurst starts near Hyde Park at Oxford Street and extends towards Kings Cross at William Street. Darlinghurst and Paddington, two suburbs with contrasting personalities, share different ends of Oxford Street with the Darlinghurst section (roughly up to Taylor Square) coming alive at the glitzy annual Gay & Lesbian Mardi Gras. By day alternative fashion, homewares and music stores attract a crowd. Yet night time is when Darlinghurst comes into its own with theatres, gay-friendly bars, live music, clubs and other late night entertainment available all week.
Darlo, as it is known by locals, has a number of popular breakfast and late night dining spots, most of which represent good value. The area’s cafes have huge people-watching potential, in particular in Victoria Street where casual dining options abound. For example you can enjoy schnitzel from the lederhosened staff at the ever-busy Una’s, or cross the road for the Turkish delights of Fez or noodles from Fu Manchu. Afterwards go for coffee at the achingly trendy Tropicana cafe, which has been attracting the in crowd for decades.
- For reasonably priced Italian fare dine at Stanley Street’s ‘Little Italy’ restaurant area.
- Applaud a performance at the Stables or Darlo Theatres.
- Breakfast alongside famous locals in the sandstone surrounds of Dov or communal tables of Bill’s.
- Groove at a funky Taylor Square nightclub or check out the local scene at one of the many bars.
- Enjoy a coffee at one of Oxford Street’s late night bookshops neighbouring the Verona and Academy Twin cinemas, which specialise in mainstream arthouse.
- Shop at Empire Homewares where luxury and simplicity are the main ingredients for furniture and accessories.
- Visit one of the ten individualist record stores where you can purchase anything from rare records, collectors vinyls down to hip hop and hard trance.
Activites and Experiences at Darlinghurst precinct
- Automatic Teller Machine
- Banking Facilities
- Electronic Funds Transfer at Point Of Sale
- Public Bar
- Post Office
- Public Telephone
- Takeaway Food
- Food and Wine