The district around the town of Dirranbandi has been described as some of the finest wool growing country in Australia.
In 1885, the town site was surveyed and named Dirranbandi which means ‘swamp abounding in frogs and waterfowl’ or “frogs around the waterhole.” Dirranbandi is the gateway to the Culgoa Flood Plains National Park. The park is situated on the Queensland/New South Wales border and is ideal for birdwatching. Visitors wanting to camp at the National Park should contact the Ranger in Charge.
Dirranbandi is also home to ‘Cubbie Station” which is believed to be the largest privately owned cotton property in the Southern Hemisphere.
Activites and Experiences at Dirranbandi
- Off Road Driving
- Camping Camping sites are available at the Dirranbandi Caravan Park.
- Canoeing The Balonne River offers a great spot to launch a canoe and explore what’s around the river bends.
- Fishing – Estuary Drop a line into the Balonne River in Dirranbandi and may just catch some Yellow Belly for dinner.
- Gambling The Dirranbandi Pub has pokies.
- Golfing The Dirranbandi Golf Course is a 13 hole course. Facilities include a bar and practice putting green. You’ll find the golf course on the Dirranbandi – Dungindi Road.
- Art Painting A local craft group are involved in art painting.
- Sports Participate There are regular weekend sports being played in Dirranbandi.
- Sports Viewing
- Swimming The Dirranbandi School has a swimming pool.
- Tennis Those who are keen on tennis will be keen to know there are three tennis courts available for hire in Dirranbandi.
- Accommodation If you’re planning to stay the night in Dirranbandi, you can choose from the hotel, either of the two motels, the hostel, the caravan park or the budget lodge.
- Airport Dirranbandi has an unlicensed sealed airport. The airport is 1km from town and as no taxi service is available, collection from the airstrip should be organised directly with your accommodation hosts on booking. The airport is administered by the Balonne Shire Council. Caution: animal hazards may exist.
- Automatic Teller Machine The Dirranbandi Pub has an Automatic Teller Machine.
- Banking Facilities Dirranbani’s Rural Transaction Centre has both a Metway Agency and Heritage Building Society Agency. A Commonwealth Bank Agency can be found at the Post Office.
- Bottled Gas
- Licensed Club The Bowls Club and Golf Club are licensed clubs in Dirranbandi.
- Coach Stop The Newsagency is the local stop for Coaches.
- Electronic Funds Transfer at Point Of Sale Most stores in Dirranbandi offer EFTPOS facilities.
- Golf Dirranbandi has a 13 hole golf course.
- Public Bar
- Mechanical Services
- Medical Facilities
- National Park Access to Culgoa Flood Plains.
- Restaurant Have a meal at either or the two hotels or two cafes in Dirranbandi.
- Sporting Facilities Football grounds and tennis courts.
- Supermarket Dirranbandi has two supermarkets.
- Swimming Pool
- Takeaway Food
- Tennis Court
- Visitor Centres Collect visitor information at the Rural Transaction Centre in Dirranbandi.
- Places of Worship The Uniting Church and Anglican Church share the same building for their church services in Dirranbandi.
- Aussie Lifestyle
- Caravan and Camping
- Farm/Station Cubbie Station – pre-arrange a tour of the cotton gin (March-July).
- Flora and Fauna
- RTN, QH and National Distributors (TQ)
Nearest Airport: Dirranbindi Unlicensed Airport