Goombungee is the administrative centre for the Rosalie Shire and is one of the oldest towns in the Shire. The town itself is full of marvellous historic buildings including the Rosalie Shire Historical Society’s Museum, which contains a good collection of historic photographs, local family histories and memorabilia.
The town is known as rural iron man country, as it hosts an annual Iron man and Iron woman Competition on Australia Day. A unique iron man sculpture welcomes visitors as they enter the town from the south.
Goombungee has picnic tables and public toilet facilities located in the heart of town, with shops and petrol located close by. Jacarandas bloom along many streets every Spring and Autumn, turning on a particularly pretty display for visitors.
Activites and Experiences at Goombungee
- Farm/Station activity Enjoy country hospitality at Moorlands Homestay at Rosalie Plains, a short drive north west of Goombungee.
- Game Playing Challenge the locals to a game of pool or darts at the Goombungee Hotel.
- Golfing Goombungee Golf Club.
- Industrial Goombungee Industrial Estate.
- Learning/Lessons/Tuition Visit the Goombungee Public Library or join in on one of the occasional art classes.
- Tennis Goombungee Sports Complex.
- Accommodation Caravanning or camping can be done at the Goombungee Showgrounds. Alternatively, Moorlands Host Farm is a short drive away at Rosalie Plains.
- Banking Facilities GIRO POST at the Goombungee Post Office.
- Electronic Funds Transfer at Point Of Sale EFTPOS is available at the Goombungee Newsagency and Pioneer Arms Hotel.
- Fuel Fill up your fuel tank at the Goombungee Newsagency or Goombungee Motors.
- Golf Goombungee Golf Club.
- Public Bar Pioneer Arms Hotel.
- Mechanical Services Goombungee Motors.
- Medical Facilities Doctor
- Post Office
- Public Telephone A public telephone is located at the Goombungee Post Office.
- Restaurant Pioneer Arms Hotel.
- Swimming Pool A swimming pool is located at the Goombungee State School.
- Takeaway Food Goombungee Newsagency and Takeaway.
- Tennis Court Goombungee Sports Complex.
- Places of Worship Lutheran, Assembly of God, Roman Catholic and Uniting Churches.
- Caravan and Camping
- Industry/Mining, Agriculture
- RTN, QH and National Distributors (TQ)
Nearest Airport: Toowoomba