Hebel was established in 1889 under the name Kelly’s Point. It has been claimed Dan Kelly and Steve Hart, members of the infamous Kelly gang resided in the Hebel area under assumed names. The name was changed to Hebel in the early 1890’s. There has been a suggestion that when the name was changed, there was a family of German people residing in the town whose surname, or the Christian name of the father was Hebel. They were responsible apparently, for the title the town has carried over a century.
The Hebel Store established in 1897 today stands as two buildings, the original store and the Hebel Dance Hall built around the same date. Visitors to the store need to watch their step as the old dance floor moves, telling a tale of the bygone era. The Hebel Store sells local arts, crafts and history books.
The distinctive Hebel Hotel was originally a Cobb & Co stopover, which opened in 1894. This wonderful hotel has a colourful history and cannot be missed on a visit to Hebel. Another place that must be visited is The Crafty Yum Yum Cottage. This is a surprising gourmet delight in this isolated community.
Activites and Experiences at Hebel
- Off Road Driving
- Fishing – Estuary The Balonne Shire has some excellent fishing spots. Hebel itself offers it’s best fishing on the Narran River.
- Accommodation The Hebel Caravan Park and Pub both offer a spot for the weary traveller to rest their head for the night.
- Airport Hebel has an unsealed airstrip.
- Electronic Funds Transfer at Point Of Sale EFTPOS is available at the Pub in Hebel.
- Fuel Fill up your fuel tank at the Pub in Hebel.
- Public Telephone
- Takeaway Food Takeaway food is available at the local store and cafe.
- Tennis Court
- Places of Worship
- Aussie Lifestyle
- Caravan and Camping
- Historic/Heritage It has been claimed that Dan Kelly and Steve Hart from the legendary Ned Kelly Gang resided in the Hebel area under assumed names.
- Off road
- Pub Stay Hebel Hotel.
- RTN, QH and National Distributors (TQ)
Nearest Airport: St George Airport