Jimbour takes its name from Jimbour Station, a vast pastoral holding that once stretched from the Bunya Mountains to the Condamine River. While the community of Jimbour is small, there is nothing small about the heritage-listed homestead of French classic design and built of sandstone.
Now hub of a working grain and cattle property, and a newly established vineyard and cellar door, the house is surrounded by extensive gardens, which were designed in 1923. The beautiful gardens which once provided a haven for family and community gatherings, is again open for the enjoyment of visitors.
Jimbour Station is where the explorer Leichhardt stayed before setting out on his epic trek to Port Essington. The Dingo Barrier Fence also begins near here, ending 5300 kilometres away at the Great Australian Bight.
Jimbour lies 27 kilometres north of Dalby, just a short drive away from the beautiful Bunya Mountains National Park.
Activites and Experiences at Jimbour
- Trail bike riding
- Farm/Station activity Jimbour Station is a working grain and cattle property.
- Flora Jimbour House features expansive formal gardens, originally designed in 1923. Today the garden beds are colourful displays all year with annuals around the red, yellow and white roses, and in other garden beds, flowering peaches, bulbs, tropical shrubs and lilies. The garden is open to the public all days.
- Fruit Picking Vineyards at Jimbour Station.
- Gliding The Darling Downs Gliding Club hosts field days at Jimbour House.
- Hang Gliding The Darling Downs Gliding Club hosts field days at Jimbour House.
- Sightseeing Jimbour House is a French classic sandstone homestead.
- Wine Tasting Jimbour House Cellar Door.
- Airport Jimbour House has a private airstrip.
- Electronic Funds Transfer at Point Of Sale Jimbour House Cellar Door.
- Post Office
- Public Telephone
- Takeaway Food
- Winery Jimbour Station.
- Places of Worship Chapel at Jimbour Housel: non-denominational.
- Flora and Fauna
- RTN, QH and National Distributors (TQ)
Nearest Airport: Jimbour Station Private Airstrip