Kellyville is located approximately 35 kilometres northwest of the Sydney CBD in the Shire of Baulkham Hills.
The original inhabitants of the Kellyville area were the Darug people. The Darug were the custodians of the majority of what is now the Greater Sydney region. They were divided into a number of different ‘clans’, whose quick demise upon European settlement has sadly resulted in very little information remaining on how the local area was utilised.
Kellyville was originally known as ‘There and Nowhere’, followed by ‘Irish Town’, as a large number of Irish people lived in the district. Convict Hugh Kelly arrived in May 1803, married his older widowed mistress Mary Evans and established a licensed inn ‘The Half Way House’ that became ‘The Bird in the Hand’, on the corner of Wrights and Windsor Roads. After Kelly’s death in 1884, John Fitzgerald Burns, James Green and George Withers purchased portions of several early land grants, which were subdivided into farmlets as part of the ‘Kellyville Estate’, thereby giving the suburb its name.
Kellyville is a major growth area in The Hills. Further development in the area following the release of new land is expected to contribute to an increase in population for The Hills by 40,000 in the next 15-20 years. The new town development will include an extensive shopping precinct, restaurants, a mini-university campus and growers market.
Towns surrounding Kellyville include: Annangrove, Baulkham Hills, Bella Vista, Glenhaven and Rouse Hill.
Sydney Hills Visitor Centre
656A Old Northern Road, Dural
(02) 9651 4411
Activites and Experiences at Kellyville
Nearest Airport: Sydney Kingsford Smith Airport, Mascot