Kenthurst is located approximately 40 kilometres northwest of the Sydney CBD in the Shire of Baulkham Hills.
The original inhabitants of the Kenthurst area were the Darug people. The Darug were the custodians of the majority of what is now the Greater Sydney region. They were divided into a number of different ‘clans’, whose quick demise upon European settlement has sadly resulted in very little information remaining on how the local area was utilised.
Kenthurst was originally known as Little Dural. Charles Gibb aroused interest to change the name to Kent Forest around 1886 (ironically much of the ‘forest’ had been felled in the mid 1800’s for timber), but the colonial government settled on Kenthurst. The name is derived from the English County of Kent and ‘hurst’, a woody hillock.
Kenthurst is now a semi-suburban town known for its boutique galleries, giftware shops and nursery cafes.
Towns surrounding Kenthurst include: Annangrove, Dural, Maraylya and Middle Dural.
Sydney Hills Visitor Centre
656A Old Northern Road, Dural
(02) 9651 4411
Activites and Experiences at Kenthurst
Nearest Airport: Sydney Kingsford Smith Airport, Mascot