The small goldfields town of Kookynie is located two hours’ drive north of Coolgardie or ten hours east of Perth.
Kookynie is an authentic, living ‘ghost town’, not to be missed if visiting the Northern Goldfields. This is true outback Australia. In 1905 it was home to 1500 people with six hotels, electric street lights, public baths, a brewery and many brick buildings. Today there is only the one working pub and a population of approximately 15 people.
Nearby is the historic Niagara Dam, a great camping spot.
Learn all about Kookynie and the surrounding area’s history in the museum located within the local hotel.
Dine in one of Australia’s true outback pubs located in a mining ghost town. Enjoy a cold beer and game of pool or darts in the hotel. The hotel also caters for overnight guests.
Activites and Experiences at Kookynie
- Sightseeing Clients view the many sights of the area.
- Animal Viewing
- Coach Stop
- Electronic Funds Transfer at Point Of Sale
- Public Bar
- Public Telephone
- Aussie Lifestyle Typical Australian way of living
- Caravan and Camping Accommodation in own/hired caravan or camping
- Flora and Fauna Relating to Plant and Animal Life
- Historic/Heritage Nation’s historic buildings, monuments, countryside etc, especially when regarded worthy of preservation
- Industry/Mining, Agriculture Relating to Industry, mining or agriculture
- Outback Remote and usually uninhibited or sparesely inhabited areas of Australia
- Pub Stay No frills style hotel accommodation
- Soft Adventure Experiencing some adventure but in comfort and style
- Wilderness Uncultivated and still wild region of forests, scrub, bush and desert
- Wildflower The flower of an uncultivated plant