The traditional Italian quarter
If you are a lover of good pasta, good coffee and gelato you can’t go past Leichhardt, Sydney’s Inner West suburb infused by years of strong Italian influence. Leichhardt’s main road is Norton Street, which offers a range of traditional Italian shops, cafes and restaurants. The best olive oils, balsamic vinegars, olives, salamis, cheeses and breads can be found at Norton Street Grocer and is a must for those in search of authentic Italian fare.
Leichhardt’s streets are filled with an infectious energy, never more so than whenever the Italian soccer team are playing. The centre of Leichhardt’s focus is on the recently developed Italian Forum – a huge plaza surrounded by a plethora of shops selling everything from designer labels to Italian homewares and fresh pasta. Descend the Forum’s own version of Rome’s Spanish Steps, a popular meeting place, and browse the menus of the outdoor cafes and restaurants most of which stay open late. Leichhardt’s been credited with pioneering the concept of al fresco dining, now a standard in cafes and restaurants all over Sydney.
- Watch the locals whilst enjoying an Italian pastry at Mezzapica or the finest hand-blended roasted coffees at Caffe Bianchi.
- Fine dine at one of the multi-award winning restaurants Elio and Grappa.
- Sip strong coffee and feast on pasta amongst the shabby decor of Bar Italia.
- Watch a gelato-making demonstration or join in a make your own at De Luca La Cremeria on Norton Street.
- Join the late night dining scene at one of the friendly authentic Italian restaurants that line Norton Street and the Italian Forum.
- Enjoy a Campari in the Martini Bar or the Leichhardt Hotel and watch the Norton Street scene from above.
- Grab a book and a coffee at Shearers or the Berkelouw book shop.
- Enjoy an arthouse movie at the Palace Norton Street Cinema.
Activites and Experiences at Leichhardt
- Automatic Teller Machine
- Banking Facilities
- Service Club
- Electronic Funds Transfer at Point Of Sale
- Medical Facilities
- Post Office
- Public Telephone
- Takeaway Food
- Food and Wine