Maryborough was settled in 1847 and is one of Queensland’s oldest provincial cities. Located three hours from Brisbane, Maryborough was a major immigration port into Australia and a visit to the Wharf Street Precinct retains many reminders of this period. Once the lifeblood of the town, the Mary River is still a haven for pleasure craft, a source of excellent freshwater fishing and a beautiful back drop for a lovely city.
Today, Maryborough is widely recognised for the abundant examples of colonial and Queenslander architecture, majestic public buildings and beautiful gardens. Much of the city’s character has been preserved in these classic buildings, mostly built of local timber in a range of sizes and designs. Take a peek into the good old days at Brennan and Geraghty’s Store, a time-capsule corner store, preserved by the National Trust. Or discover the fascinating port history of Maryborough at the Bond Store Museum and Customs House in the Wharf Street precinct.
Maryborough’s industrial base was established over one hundred years ago and although diversified today, still retains the original base industries of engineering, sugar and timber. Olds Engine House displays a collection of famous models by Australia’s foremost model engineer, William Olds. The engineering works and foundry, which are still operating, have a reputation for variety and quality and are fascinating for all visitors.
A visit to Maryborough often provides the inspiration to trace a family history, and the Maryborough Family Heritage Institute helps visitors research their ancestry. It is also there to help source the history of buildings, war veterans or railway constructions, or to help organise family or immigrant ship reunions.
Visitors to Maryborough can choose accommodation to suit their tastes and budgets, including self-contained units, cosy bed and breakfasts, quality motels, caravan and camping parks.
Activites and Experiences at Maryborough
- Art and Craft making
- City Sightseeing Heritage Architecture.
- Fishing – Estuary
- Gambling Clubs.
- Motor racing
- Photography Heritage Architecture.
- Scenic Flight Over Maryborough and Fraser Island.
- Sightseeing Heritage Architecture & Museums.
- Sports Participate
- Sports Viewing
- Train Ride Model & Steam Trains through Queens Park – last Sunday of each month.
- Wine Tasting Cellar door.
- Accommodation Bed & Breakfast, Motels, Caravan Parks.
- Airport Commercial and charter services.
- The Arts Art, Craft, Theatre.
- Caravan and Camping
- Fishing Mary River.
- Health and Fitness
- Historic/Heritage Heritage buildings and attractions.
- Industry/Mining, Agriculture Steel Industry – Walkers Engineering (Train manufacturing).
- Paranormal ‘Ghost’ activity reported in Wharf Street properties.
- Pub Stay
- Rail Ride a replica of the MaryAnn steam engine.
- RTN, QH and National Distributors (TQ)
Nearest Airport: Maryborough
Accommodation In Maryborough
Discover some of the accommodation in and around Maryborough
Tours In Maryborough
Discover some of the tours options around Maryborough