Located on the Warrego Highway 587 kilometres west of Brisbane and 176 kilometres east of Charleville, the town of Mitchell marks the Gateway to Queensland’s Outback. The town, on the banks of the Maranoa River, was named in honour of Sir Thomas Mitchell whose exploration of south-west Queensland led to the establishment of several towns in the region.
The town’s wide tree-lined streets and substantial colonial buildings reflect its early importance as the centre of a busy farming and pastoral district famous for its grains, beef and sheep. The town is rapidly becoming an important stop on the tourist route to Outback Queensland.
The Great Artesian Spa is the centrepiece of Mitchell and the wider Booringa Shire. The large open-air spa has been making a huge splash among visitors to Mitchell. The warm waters are said to relax the muscles, ease tension and revitalise both the body and the mind.
Once you’ve tried the Spa, why not go bird watching at the Neil Turner Weir on the Maranoa River or wet a line further upstream at Fisherman’s Rest? For those feeling more energetic, the Maranoa River Walk meanders along the Maranoa River. Be sure to look for the Graffiti Arts Project at the Maranoa River Bridge and view the series of fifteen murals entitled Booringa Past, Present, Future.
Visitors should also visit the Kenniff Courthouse which is where the infamous bushrangers Patrick and James Kenniff were committed to stand trial for the murder of a Policeman and Station Manager in 1902. Located seven kilometres south of Mitchell on the St. George Road, the Kenniff Statues depict the story of the trial and capture of the Kenniff Brothers.
If you are looking for an adventure, fun or just to relax, Mitchell has something to offer you.
Activites and Experiences at Mitchell
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander
- Birdwatching Bird enthusiasts will not be disappointed with over 250 bird species living in and visiting the area.
- Farm/Station activity Become a part of a real working property and tour the fully restored homestead at Bonus Downs.
- Flora A stand of Ooline trees, remnants of a Gondwana Rainforest, can be found on the road between Mitchell and Mungallala, where hills are wooded with this rare species of tree.
- Swimming Take a swim at the Artesian Spa.
- Walking Major Mitchell River Walk along the banks of the Maranoa River.
- Automatic Teller Machine
- Banking Facilities National Australia Bank.
- Boat Ramp Maranoa River.
- Bottled Gas
- Service Club
- Coach Stop Greyhound Australia.
- Electronic Funds Transfer at Point Of Sale
- Fuel Petrol and diesel available.
- Public Bar
- Mechanical Services Royal Automobile Association of Queensland (RACQ).
- Medical Facilities
- Post Office
- Public Telephone
- Rail Terminal Queensland Rail’s Westlander service.
- Sporting Facilities
- Swimming Pool
- Takeaway Food
- Visitor Centres Great Artesian Spa, Cambridge Street.
- Places of Worship
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander The Yumba is a site of cultural significance to the local indigenous community and people wishing to visit the site should contact the Nalingu Aboriginal Corporate to arrange a guided tour.
- Aussie Lifestyle
- Caravan and Camping
- Environmental Be amazed at some of the most spectacular panoramic scenery, native ecosystems and landforms at the Claravale Wilderness Experience.
- Farm/Station Become a part of a real working property and tour the fully restored homestead at Bonus Downs.
- Flora and Fauna
- Historic/Heritage Visit Major Mitchell’s Campsite and the Kenniff Courthouse. Research family history at the Booringa Shire Archives located at the Mitchell Library.
- National Park Explore the magnificent sandstone formations millions of years in the making at Mount Moffatt National Park and retrace bushranger trails of the infamous Kenniff Brothers.
- Relaxation Relax tired muscles and enjoy the rejuvenating powers of ancient artesian waters. Naturally heated waters are from the Great Artesian Basin are maintained at 38 degrees.
- RTN, QH and National Distributors (TQ)
- Empty Nesters
- Meetings Incentive Conventions
- Outback Queensland Tourism
Nearest Airport: Mitchell Airport
Accommodation In Mitchell
Discover some of the accommodation in and around Mitchell