Waterways, beaches and seaside villages
Spanning the area just north of Manly to the tip of the peninsula at the mouth of the Hawkesbury River, Sydney’s beautiful Northern Beaches and Pittwater offer you relaxation and recreation side by side. The area encompasses kilometres of open coastline along laid back seaside suburbs including Curl Curl, Dee Why, Long Reef and Avalon. You can catch a seaplane to a riverside restaurant from Palm Beach; the last beach on the peninsula where hit series “Home and Away” is filmed. With a number of popular surf breaks lining the region, it is inevitably imbued with a strong surfing culture. Great seaside dining is on offer from all of the Northern Beaches.
On the other side of the peninsula is Pittwater, which runs along the thriving native bushland of Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park. For one of the best views of Pittwater, have a pub lunch at the Newport Arms Hotel’s waterfront beer garden. You can participate in any number of water activities in Pittwater including kitesurfing, canoeing, sailing and fishing. With its pockets of rainforest, rivers, creeks and waterfalls, rugged sandstone headlands and wonderful examples of Aboriginal rock art, Ku-ring-gai Chase is a fascinating place to bushwalk.
Northern Beaches Highlights….
- Take a scenic coastal drive to Palm Beach and walk the headland to Barrenjoey Lighthouse for views of Pittwater and the Ocean.
- Join a ferry at Palm Beach to explore Pittwater’s secluded bays.
- Stop off at the quaint seaside village of Avalon and explore the shops within.
- Internationally famous as the home of Skippy the Bush Kangaroo is Waratah Park Earth Sanctuary, where you can go on a night prowl for wildlife.
- The Bahai Temple, one of only seven in the world, welcomes visitors from all faiths.
- Indulge yourself and stay a night at one of the wonderful B and B’s or hotels in the area.
- Shop at Australia’s largest indoor/outdoor shopping centre, Warringah Mall, comprising over 280 specialty shops and 5 major department stores.
- Challenge yourself with a round of golf at one of six courses open to the public.
- Take a luxury tour encompassing the area with Palm Beach Experience or Walkabout Tours.
Activites and Experiences at Northern Beaches precinct
- Automatic Teller Machine
- Banking Facilities
- Electronic Funds Transfer at Point Of Sale
- Public Bar
- National Park
- Post Office
- Public Telephone
- Takeaway Food
- Places of Worship