Pittsworth is in the centre of the Darling Downs and is therefore known as the ‘Heart of the Darling Downs.’ The banner lined main street has a wide range of shops and businesses. Pittsworth also boasts some of the richest farming land in Australia. A beautiful display of Silky Oak and Jacaranda trees line the towns streets, flowering in October and November.
Pittsworth is just off the Gore Highway 40 kilometres south west of Toowoomba and is the only country town of the Darling Downs to have accredited gardens in the Australian Open Garden Scheme. This friendly town is a beautiful spot and one of the prime agricultural areas of the world.
The town is surrounded by cotton and grain growing farms, as well as some remaining dairies.
Visit St Andrew’s Church with its magnificent stained-glass windows and relive the past at the Pittsworth Pioneer Historical Village. The Historical Village provides a lasting reminder of the early development of Pittsworth and the surrounding rural district through the use of original buildings, equipment and artefacts. There are numerous displays including buildings set up in the era, wearing apparel, lace work, early settlers, settlements and machinery. The museum is also home to a display of memorabilia boasting the feats of Arthur Postle, known as the ‘Crimson Flash,’ Australia and the world’s one time fastest athlete.
Activites and Experiences at Pittsworth
- Art and Craft making Pittsworth has a local Wood Turning Group and also various Local Craft Clubs.
- Golfing The Pittsworth Golf Club has a 18 hole golf course. It is located on Golf Course Road. The Club facilities include bar, snack bar, EFTPOS, poker machines, pull buggy hire, practice putting green, practice bunker and motorised carts.
- Motor racing The annual Pittsworth Sprints is an event not to be missed.
- Art Painting There are various Local Art Groups in Pittsworth.
- Shopping Visit the Local Pittsworth Shopping Centre where you can enjoy relaxed shopping atmosphere.
- Sports Participate
- Sports Viewing
- Tennis Enjoy a hit with the racket? Visit the Pittsworth Tennis Club located in Briggs Street.
- Accommodation Choose from the Hotel/Motel, Caravan Park or Motel for a good nights sleep.
- Ambulance Pittsworth Ambulance service is located in Short Street.
- Automatic Teller Machine Automatic Teller Machine’s are available for the Commonwealth Bank and the Heritage Building Society.
- Banking Facilities The National Bank, Commonwealth Bank Australia, ANZ and Heritage Building Society are all located within Pittsworth.
- Bottled Gas Bottle Gas is available at the two local Hardware stores.
- Chemist For all your chemist needs, visit Cains Pharmacy.
- Licensed Club There are several Licensed Clubs within Pittsworth. Three Bowls Clubs, one Golf Club and a Leagues Club.
- Dentist Got a tooth ache? Then visit A.Withers, the local Dentist located in Yandilla Street.
- Fuel All fuels available at the two local service stations.
- Golf The Local Pittsworth Golf Club has an 18 hole Golf Course. You will find it in Golf Course Road.
- Hospital The Pittsworth Private Hospital is located in Weale Street.
- Public Bar In Pittsworth you can find the local Hotel and the Tattersalls Hotel.
- Mechanical Services There are five local Mechanical Services available in Pittsworth.
- Medical Facilities There are two full time Doctors available at the local Pittsworth Medical Centre.
- Newsagent Visit the Pittsworth Newsagency for all your Newsagency needs.
- Police There is a Police Station located in Pittsworth.
- Post Office Send a post card or two from the Pittsworth Post Office.
- Public Telephone
- Restaurant Enjoy a meal at the local Chinese Restaurant.
- Sporting Facilities
- Supermarket There are two local supermarkets available for all your grocery needs.
- Swimming Pool Cool off in the Pittsworth Civic Pool, located in Yandilla Street.
- Takeaway Food Feel like a snack? Then grab a bite to eat at one of the three takeaway outlets.
- Tennis Court Enjoy the odd game? Then have a hit at the local Pittsworth Tennis Courts.
- Places of Worship
- Caravan and Camping
- Golf The Pittsworth Golf Club has an 18 hole Golf Course. It is located in Golf Course Road.
- Historic/Heritage The Pittsworth Historical Village provides a lasting reminder of the early development of Pittsworth and the surrounding rural district through the use of original buildings, equipment and artefacts.
- Shopping Visit the central Pittsworth shopping centre around Yandilla Street for all your shopping needs.
- RTN, QH and National Distributors (TQ)
Nearest Airport: Pittsworth
Accommodation In Pittsworth
Discover some of the accommodation in and around Pittsworth