St George is the capital of the Balonne Shire, the business centre for a large primary producing district. Major rural products include cotton, grain, sheep, beef cattle, table grapes and other horticultural crops. Beardmore Dam on the Balonne River provides excellent freshwater fishing for Yellowbelly and Murray Cod labelling St George as the Fishing Capital of Queensland.
Often referred to as ‘An Oasis’ or ‘the inland fishing capital of Queensland’, St George is situated on the picturesque banks of the mighty Balonne River.
The town was named by Sir Thomas Mitchell who discovered the river crossing on St George’s Day (April 23), 1846. Mitchell’s monument is located in the landscaped gardens adjacent to the Jack Taylor Weir.
The Balonne River, Beardmore Dam and Jack Taylor Weir present an inland aquatic playground for locals and visitors alike. There are a number of fishing spots where you can drop in a line and yield a catch of Murray Cod and Yellowbelly. The waterways also make great places to take a lazy afternoon walks, be sure to wander along the river parkland and spot a koala.
If you visit St George in spring you will be treated to the wonderful colours of the Jacaranda and Bauhinia Trees in full bloom. The Rosehill Aviary near St George supports the most complete population of Parrots in Australia and is a great stop any time of year.
Wine lovers can enjoy a drop of local Riversands wine or for the beer drinkers, visiting one of the historic pubs may be just the thing. Be sure to see the illuminated hand-carved emu eggs at the Unique Egg and visit the Heritage Centre.
Activites and Experiences at St George
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Visit the Aboriginal Rock Wells. The St George Museum has an aboriginal display and displays can be seen throughout the town.
- Art and Craft making
- Barbecue Electric barbecue facilities are available across from the Visitor Information Centre and also at Beardmore Dam.
- Mountain Biking There are mountain biking tracks near the hospital and near Beardmore Dam. Contact the Visitor Information Centre for more details.
- Trail bike riding Trail biking can be done on various tracks throughout the shire.
- Birdwatching Spot the birdlife along the Balonne River in St George or at Rosehill Aviaries.
- Camping Caravan Parks offer camping sites and so to do some reserves around the Balonne River and Beardmore Dam. Enquire at the Visitor Information Centre or contact Toowoomba and Golden West Regional Tourist Association.
- Canoeing Canoes can be rented from Kapunda Fishing Park and enjoyed on the many rivers in the area, including the Balonne River.
- Farm/Station activity A Homestead in the region is based on a traditional sheep property 75 kilometres north of St George along the Mitchell Road.
- Fishing – Estuary There is excellent fishing in and around St George. Contact the Visitor Information Centre for more details.
- Exercising Swimming Pool, Tennis Courts, Mountain Biking Trails, River Walking Tracks, Cricket Grounds and Football Fields .
- Fossicking Contact the Visitor Information Centre.
- Fruit Picking A wide variety of fruit picking occurs in the region, including: moon rocks, grapes, onions, watermelons and rock melons.
- Gambling Pubs and Clubs have poker machines and Keno.
- Golfing The St George Golf Club has an 18 hole course and a busy tournament schedule. It’s a public course and no reservations are required. The Club is located five kilometres on Old Mitchell Road, directly opposite the police station across the river. Facilities include a bar, snack bar, a conference and catering room and pull buggy hire. The course has irrigated fairways and sand greens. The course is always open and green fees are payable via an honour box on the first tee.
- Art Painting With the Creative Arts Group.
- Scenic Flight Jones Air in St George are available for scenic flights.
- Shopping Shopping opportunities can be found in the main street of St George.
- Skiing – Water The Balonne River offers an excellent skiing area with several boat launches. Call the Visitor Information Centre for more details.
- Skydiving Contact Jones Air.
- Sports Participate Regular weekend sports.
- Swimming Swimming can be enjoyed in the Balonne River or in the local public swimming pool.
- Tennis Three tennis courts are available for hire.
- Animal Viewing Rosehill Aviaries.
- Walking Enjoy the riverwalk along the tracks by the Balonne River.
- Water-based Lots of watersports can be enjoyed on the Rivers surrounding St George.
- Wine Tasting Riversands Vineyard is located on the banks of the Balonne River. It carried 20,000 vines covering 16 hectares. The hot climate and drip irrigation on deep sandy loam soils produce high sugar grapes and fruity flavoured wine. Stop and sample the crisp whites, rustic reds, mellow muscat and luscious port. Try your hand at fishing or use their barbecue and rest facilities. Riversands Vineyard is located on Whytes Road in St George. Travel south west along Victoria Street (main street of St George) towards the Jack Taylor Weir. Before the Balonne River, turn left at Bowen Street, opposite the Caravan Park and follow the signs for two kilometres until you see Riversands on the right hand side.
- Accommodation Four motels, three hotel/motels and six caravan parks.
- Airport Sealed strip. Airport operator: Balonne Shire Council.
- Ambulance Located on Victoria Street.
- Automatic Teller Machine Automatic Teller Machines are located at the Commonwealth Bank, the Bakery, 4 Square and Cobb & Co.
- Banking Facilities Commonwealth Bank, National Australia Bank, Westpac, Elders, Heritage Building Society and Metway Bank.
- Boat Ramp Two are located at The Terrace and one at Beardmore Dam.
- Bottled Gas
- Licensed Club
- Service Club
- Coach Stop Coaches stop at the BP Service Station.
- Dentist There are two resident dentists in St George.
- Electronic Funds Transfer at Point Of Sale EFTPOS is available in most stores.
- Fuel Fuel is available at the BP, Ampol, Taits and Lowes Service Stations.
- Golf St George has an 18 hole golf course. The course is always open and green fees are payable via an honour box on the first tee. The golf course is located on Wagoo Road, five kilometres on Old Mitchell Road, directly opposite the Police Station across the river.
- Public Bar
- Dog Kennels/Catteries
- Mechanical Services
- Medical Facilities
- Police The Police Station is located at The Terrace.
- Post Office The Post Office is located at The Terrace.
- Public Telephone A public telephone is located at the Post Office and others can be found around town.
- Restaurant Choose from Chinese, motel restaurants, hotels, the RSL and any of the seven cafes.
- Sporting Facilities
- Supermarket St George has two supermarkets.
- Swimming Pool
- Takeaway Food
- Tennis Court
- Visitor Centres The St George Visitor Information Centre is located on the corner of Roe and The Terrace.
- Winery Riversands Vineyard is located on the banks of the Balonne River. It carried 20,000 vines covering 16 hectares. The hot climate and drip irrigation on deep sandy loam soils produce high sugar grapes and fruity flavoured wine. Stop and sample the crisp whites, rustic reds, mellow muscat and luscious port. Try your hand at fishing or use their barbecue and rest facilities. Riversands Vineyard is located on Whytes Road in St George. Travel south west along Victoria Street (main street of St George) towards the Jack Taylor Weir. Before the Balonne River, turn left at Bowen Street, opposite the Caravan Park and follow the signs for two kilometres until you see Riversands on the right hand side.
- Places of Worship All major religions are represented by established places of worship in St George.
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander
- Aussie Lifestyle
- Caravan and Camping
- Flora and Fauna
- Food and Wine
- Nature based
- Off road
- Pub Stay
- Water based
- RTN, QH and National Distributors (TQ)
Nearest Airport: St George Airport