Tannum Sands is just nine kilometres from the Bruce Highway and just 20 kilometres from the city of Gladstone. Tannum Sands is renowned for its long white sandy beaches perfect for swimming, sailboarding and surf-skiing. Tannum Sands is home to 4500 people and is just a stone’s throw from Boyne Island.
The twin towns of Tannum Sands and Boyne Island are linked by the John Oxley Bridge over the Boyne River, which is perfect for fishing, boating, outrigging, and water-skiing. The twin towns are also home to Australia’s largest Aluminium Smelter, Boyne Smelters Limited. The smelter employs over 1200 people and produces 490, 000 tonnes of metal a year. The Smelter runs tours of the site on Friday mornings. For further information on these tours, contact the Visitor Information Centre at Ocean Street Tannum Sands.
Beautifully landscaped parklands and recreation facilities were created on this coastal foreshore area named Millennium Esplanade. Millennium Esplanade is on the main beach, where lifesavers patrol during Spring and Summer periods. With only a small variation in seasonal temperatures, the waters of Tannum Sands are perfect for year round swimming.
For over 50 years, the Esplanade beach areas of Tannum Sands have served as the principal destination for passive and active beachside pursuits for the entire Gladstone Region, and the thousands of people that visit the area throughout the year.
The area has excellent accommodation options, including caravan parks, motels, holiday units and cabins. For further information on accommodation and things to see and do, contact the Tannum Sands Information at Ocean Street.
Activites and Experiences at Tannum Sands
- Canoeing Canoeing and surf-skiing are popular pastimes in the area.
- Crabbing Fishing and crabbing in the area are popular pastimes, both in Boyne Island and Tannum Sands.
- Cycling There are a number of bike ways including The Turtle Way.
- Fishing – Beach Fishing is popular off the Boyne Island Beach or at Wild Cattle Creek.
- Fishing – Estuary There are a number of good fishing spots in the area.
- Industrial Industrial tours of the Boyne Smelter are held on Friday mornings.
- Skiing – Water Water-skiing is a popular pastime in the Boyne River.
- Surfing You can surf at the Tannum Sands beach.
- Swimming Swimming is a popular pastime at the beaches in the area.
- Tennis There are a number of tennis courts in the area.
- Accommodation There is a wide range of accommodation facilities including hotels, motels, caravan parks, cabins and holiday units.
- Ambulance There is an ambulance located at Boyne Island.
- Automatic Teller Machine The banks in the area have ATMs.
- Banking Facilities There are a number of Financial Institutions in the area.
- Beach Tannum Sands is renowned for its beach and Millennium Esplanade.
- Boat Ramp There are several boat ramps in the area.
- Chemist The area have two Chemists.
- Licensed Club There is a licensed sporting club at Boyne Island.
- Electronic Funds Transfer at Point Of Sale A majority of the shops in the area have EFTPOS.
- Fuel There are a number of service stations in the area.
- Golf There is a golfing range at Boyne Island.
- Public Bar There is a hotel and public bar located at Tannum Sands.
- Medical Facilities There are a number of medical facilities in the area.
- Newsagent There a several newsagents in the area.
- Police The Police Station is located at Tannum Sands.
- Post Office There is a Post Office located at Boyne Island.
- Public Telephone There are several public telephones in key locations throughout the area.
- Restaurant There area several restaurants and bistros in the area.
- Sporting Facilities There are a number of sporting facilities in the area including football, soccer, netball, tennis and golf.
- Supermarket There is a Woolworths Supermarket located at Boyne Island, along a number of smaller supermarkets in the area.
- Swimming Pool There is a public pool located at Tannum Sands.
- Takeaway Food There are several takeaway food services in the area.
- Tennis Court There are tennis courts at both Boyne Island and Tannum Sands.
- Visitor Centres There is a Visitor Information Centre located at Ocean Street, Tannum Sands.
- Places of Worship There are several Churches in the area.
- Beach Millennium Esplanade is on the main beach and is perfect for swimming. The beach is patrolled in the Spring and Summer periods.
- Caravan and Camping There area a number of caravan parks in the Tannum Sands area.
- Fishing Fishing is a popular pastime and there are many local fishing operators in the area. The Boyne-Tannum Hookup is a popular fishing event held over the June long weekend.
- RTN, QH and National Distributors (TQ)
Nearest Airport: Gladstone