Nestled deep in the Hamersley Ranges, at the base of the beautiful Mt Nameless, is the town of Tom Price to the heart of Karijini country in the north of the State.
Tom Price is a picturesque, modern and fully serviced town designed to blend into the natural environment.
Tom Price is a mecca for tourists during the warm, sunny winter months. With a variety of tourist attractions in the area, at least a three to four day stay is recommended.
Many visitors heading to Karijini National Park choose to base themselves in Tom Price and take day trips to the park, which is only 50 kilometres (40 minutes’ drive) away.
Karijini National Park is the second biggest national park in Western Australia, encompassing some 627,445 hectares. In its sheer gorges and chasms, you can see where time has carved deep lines through the landscape. Hidden amongst its rugged formations are crystal clear rock pools, cascading waterfalls and tropical fern environments, many offering easy walking tracks or viewing platform access.
The recently opened Karijini Interpretive Centre is built in the shape of a Bungarra (Australian monitor) lizard and houses a wealth of Aboriginal culture, history and artistic fauna and flora displays.
Wildflowers blanket the landscape around Tom Price from July to October, with stunning displays of Ashburton and Sturt Desert Pea.
Mt Nameless, 1128 metres above sea level, is the highest accessible mountain by vehicle (four wheel drive only) in Western Australia. It provides spectacular views of the Tom Price iron ore mine site and the township. For energetic people, there are two walk trails to the summit, providing breathtaking views every step of the way.
Mine tours are conducted on a daily basis (minimum six people). A comprehensive one and a half hour tour by local guides encompasses a tour around town and through the mine site. The tour takes visitors into the pit, enabling them to have an up close encounter with the massive trucks and machinery.
For those wanting to relax, you can enjoy the latest movies at the open air cinema, popular on a summer’s night.
The annual Nameless Festival is a gala event held on the second weekend in August. The Festival includes sideshows, novelty games and races, art and craft exhibits and spectacular fireworks displays.
Motel, lodge, self contained villas, and camping style accommodation is available. Tom Price has a variety of dining outlets, for those who are looking for something light to eat or for those who require a substantial meal.
The friendly staff at the Visitors Centre can provide you with:
Karijini National Park and Mine Tour Bookings
Free Accommodation Booking Service
Wide range of souvenirs and books
Greyhound/McCafferty’s bus bookings
Public Internet Access.
The Visitors Centre is open:
April to September (inc): Monday to Friday 0830 to 1730
Saturday, Sunday and Public Holidays 0900 to 1700
October to March (inc): Monday to Friday 0830 to 1430
Saturday 0900 to 1200 noon
Sunday and Public Holidays Closed
Telephone: 08 9188 1112 Fax: 08 9189 1441
Activites and Experiences at Tom Price
- Rock Climbing
- Sightseeing Clients view the many sights of the area.
- Animal Viewing
- Electronic Funds Transfer at Point Of Sale
- Public Bar
- Post Office
- Public Telephone
- Swimming Pool
- Adventure Unusual and exciting experience or an endurance race consisting of a variety of adventure activities
- Eco Tourism Relating to the natural environment, its protection and conservation. Product fitting this experiencee have been awarded an Eco Tourism Accreditation
- Educational Proving visitor with some type of instruction or learning experience
- Environmental Relating to the natural environment, its protection and conservation
- Industry/Mining, Agriculture Relating to Industry, mining or agriculture
- National Park A national park is an area that is recognised for its natural features that are protected by controlled access and usage
- Nature based Relating to the natural environment
- Outback Remote and usually uninhibited or sparesely inhabited areas of Australia
- Wildlife Animals living in their natural environment or attractions that provide visitors with the opportunity to view a variety of wildlife
Nearest Airport: Paraburdoo
Accommodation In Tom Price
Discover some of the accommodation in and around Tom Price
Tours In Tom Price
Discover some of the tours options around Tom Price