On the south coast of the State, surrounded by the Walpole Nornalup National Park, is the idyllic town of Walpole.
Located an hour and a half drive from Albany to the east and Pemberton to the west makes Walpole an ideal location from which to explore the beautiful forests and beaches of the area.
One of the most popular attractions in Western Australia is the remarkable Valley of the Giants Tree Top Walk and the Ancient Empire grove. The 600 metre long Tree Top Walk rises to almost 40 metres above the forest floor, giving the visitor a true bird’s eye view of the forest. Closer to the ground, the Ancient Empire’s walkway meanders through this stunning grove of veteran tingle trees.
Take time to explore the forest on Hilltop Road and wander the magical 800 metre trail to the Giant Red Tingle Tree between the soaring karri trees and the giant girthed tingles, rising 70 metres from the forest floor.
Walpole has many attractions and activities to keep the visitor busy. Take time to paddle the rivers in a canoe, unpack the fishing rod and snare a wily bream. You can also enjoy the inlets and beaches during the famous daily inlet cruise, stroll around the beautiful gardens at the herb farm and see how herbal products are made. Visit one of the best collections of local and exotic parrots near Bow Bridge, or browse the local craft shops, including one of the most extensive bead collections in Australia.
Visit gorgeous Circular Pool, in the Frankland River. Enjoy vast spreading views from Mount Frankland, mirrored reflections in the quiet rivers, the glory of the wildflowers and the majesty of the trees. Other activities include boating and sailing, fishing, bushwalking, scenic drives and climbing.
Select a portion of the Bibbulmun Track (a world class 1000 kilometre walking trail) as it passes through spectacular coastal and forest scenery. Drop offs and pick ups can be arranged for walkers.
Of the many inlets along the south coast of Western Australia, none are more beautiful than the magnificent Walpole and Nornalup Inlets. Behind the magnificent beaches are hills covered with giant Karri trees and rivers stretching into the heart of these ancient forests.
The town of Walpole was established in 1930 through the Nornalup Land Settlement Scheme that was designed for city families hit by the Great Depression. Pierre Bellanger established the first settlement at Nornalup in 1909.
The Walpole Nornalup region offers many kinds of accommodation including luxury chalets, motels, budget accommodation, backpackers, bed and breakfasts, holiday houses and caravan parks.
There are many restaurants and cafes dotted throughout the townships of Walpole and Nornalup, ranging from licensed a la carte restaurants to BYO (Bring Your Own drinks) cafes.
Activites and Experiences at Walpole
- Farm/Station activity
- Fishing – Beach
- Fishing – Estuary
- Lunch Cruise
- Sightseeing Clients view the many sights of the area.
- Animal Viewing
- Coach Stop
- Electronic Funds Transfer at Point Of Sale
- National Park
- Public Telephone
- Takeaway Food
- Visitor Centres
- Beach A beach attraction is a beach area that is recognised for its scenic beauty, recreational opportunities, environmental state, and/or fauna population. Recreational vehicles can be driven on a number of beaches around Australia
- Caravan and Camping Accommodation in own/hired caravan or camping
- Rural/Country Relating to the rural/country lifestyle (ie agricultural or pastoral)
- Eco Tourism Relating to the natural environment, its protection and conservation. Product fitting this experiencee have been awarded an Eco Tourism Accreditation
- Farm/Station On a farm or station with the option to participate in the activities of the property.
- Fishing Related to any fishing activities
- Flora and Fauna Relating to Plant and Animal Life
- Industry/Mining, Agriculture
- National Park A national park is an area that is recognised for its natural features that are protected by controlled access and usage
- Nature based Relating to the natural environment
- Wildflower The flower of an uncultivated plant
- Wildlife Animals living in their natural environment or attractions that provide visitors with the opportunity to view a variety of wildlife
Nearest Airport: Albany
Accommodation In Walpole
Discover some of the accommodation in and around Walpole
Tours In Walpole
Discover some of the tours options around Walpole