Just one and a half hours’ drive north from Perth lies the important heritage site of New Norcia.
Founded by Dom Rosendo Salvado in 1846, New Norcia is today the home of 18 Benedictine monks. After 150 years, ancient doors have been unlocked and visitors are welcomed to a world of olive groves, church bells and secret courtyards. The architecture, with its strong Spanish influence, dominates the bush setting. There are 27 buildings which are classified by the National Trust and the town as a whole is registered on the National Estate. The buildings house the museum and art gallery which are well worth seeing for their old paintings, manuscripts and religious artifacts.
The New Norcia Heritage Trail is a self guided walking tour which features many of New Norcia’s landmarks including Abbey Church, Bishop Salvado statue, the 19th Century Sundial, Bishop’s Well and the octagon-shaped Beehouse.
The local hotel is available for lunch and dinner seven days except for Christmas Day. A la carte, casual, formal dining choices and daily specials are available. Enjoy Sunday night roast dinners in winter and summer barbeques. The verandah provides a good atmosphere for relaxing drinks and meals. Dine in and takeaway meals are also available at the roadhouse.
Accommodation includes hotel stays and guest houses.
Activites and Experiences at New Norcia
- Sightseeing Clients view the many sights of the area.
- Automatic Teller Machine
- Banking Facilities
- Coach Stop
- Electronic Funds Transfer at Point Of Sale
- Public Telephone
- Takeaway Food
- Cultural Relating to specific cultures within Australia
- Educational Proving visitor with some type of instruction or learning experience
- Flora and Fauna Relating to Plant and Animal Life
- Historic/Heritage Nation’s historic buildings, monuments, countryside etc, especially when regarded worthy of preservation
- Shopping Organised shopping or shopping at well know retail outlets
- Sport Bushwalking
- Wildflower The flower of an uncultivated plant
Nearest Airport: Perth
Accommodation In New Norcia
Discover some of the accommodation in and around New Norcia