Highfields is a booming community, growing in both population and in tourism activity – just a short drive north of Toowoomba along the New England Highway.
The Highfields Pioneer Historical Village is an attraction with rare and unusual collections of vintage machinery. Most of the machinery has been restored to working order and can be seen in action particularly at the Easter Vintage Festival or for group bookings. The Historical Village also features a fully operational Blacksmith Shop, a Heritage Chapel, an original Toowoomba 1928 Dennis Fire Engine, a two cell lock up short term prison from 1903, Model ‘T’ Fords, and a collection of restored antique radios and appliances. View 40,000 Sea Shells and Coral Pieces in one of the largest collections in Queensland.
The Danish Flower Art Centre is always worth a visit. The cottage shop and flower barn have an almost magical atmosphere, displaying both the materials required for flower art and the beautiful creations which are possible. Take a break at the coffee shop before exploring the expansive garden, flower fields and animal nursery. Scroll Magic is also onsite at the Flower Art Centre. Here you can see an operating blacksmith workshop.
On the picturesque drive along the New England Highway lies many other enticing spots to stop, including a lookout, nurseries and the Chocolate Cottage. The Chocolate Cottage is located at the Village Green, where you will also find antiques, art and other specialty stores.
Just across the road from the Village Green is Jacaranda Manor. Jacaranda Manor features a coffee shop, fudge factory, bead store and a number of other interesting specialty stores well worth exploring.
Highfields boasts a large Cultural Centre suitable for large conferences. Also located at the Centre is an outdoor public swimming complex with a volleyball court and basketball court.
Activites and Experiences at Highfields
- Art and Craft making Danish Flower Art Centre and the Chocolate Cottage. The Bead Shop at Jacaranda Manor.
- Birdwatching Contact the Hampton Visitor Information Centre for your free birdwatching brochure.
- Bushwalking Highfields Falls offers a lovely bushwalking track. The falls are featured on the birdwatching brochure – contact the Hampton Visitor Information Centre for your free brochure.
- Fishing – Estuary Cooby Dam.
- Flora Danish Flower Art Centre and various nurseries.
- Gambling Highfields Tavern poker machines.
- Learning/Lessons/Tuition Danish Flower Art Centre lessons in making dried flower arrangements.
- Sports Participate Highfields Indoor Sports Centre.
- Water-based Cooby Dam fishing.
- Automatic Teller Machine Heritage Building Society.
- Banking Facilities Heritage Building Society.
- Bottled Gas Shell Service Station.
- Chemist Highfields Village Shopping Centre.
- Licensed Club Highfields Tavern.
- Convention Centre Highfields Cultural Centre.
- Electronic Funds Transfer at Point Of Sale
- Golf Borneo Barracks Golf Club.
- Public Bar
- Dog Kennels/Catteries
- Medical Facilities
- Post Office
- Public Telephone
- Sporting Facilities Highfields Indoor Sports Centre.
- Supermarket Action Supermarket.
- Swimming Pool Highfields Indoor Sports Centre.
- Takeaway Food
- Tennis Court
- Visitor Centres Danish Flower Art Centre.
- Places of Worship Church of Christ, Baptist and Anglican.
- Educational Danish Flower Art and Highfields Pioneer Village.
- Fishing Cooby Dam.
- Flora and Fauna Danish Flower Art Centre.
- Gambling Highfields Tavern.
- Golf Borneo Barracks Golf Club.
- Health and Fitness Highfields Indoor Sports Centre.
- Historic/Heritage Highfields Pioneer Historical Village.
- Water based Cooby Dam.
- RTN, QH and National Distributors (TQ)
Nearest Airport: Toowoomba
Accommodation In Highfields
Discover some of the accommodation in and around Highfields