Mission Beach is a relaxed, yet vibrant beachfront town with over 14 kilometres of magnificent golden sandy beaches. Here two World Heritage areas, The Great Barrier Reef and Wet Tropics Rainforest, come together to form a tropical paradise. In many places, the rainforest literally fringes stretches of pristine golden beach, giving the destination reputation as an ideal natural holiday choice.
Less than 5 kilometres offshore, Dunk Island and Bedarra Island make up an aquatic playground that is renowned along the east coast of Queensland. The Great Barrier Reef is only 38 kilometres away making Mission Beach the closest mainland access to the Reef, just an hour or so by boat. This means more time experiencing the wonders of Queensland’s Great Barrier Reef when you stay at Mission Beach. There are four villages that are collectively known as Mission Beach:
– South Mission Beach
– Wongaling Beach
– North Mission Beach
– Bingil Bay
Fourteen kilometres of palm-fringed beach connect these four small townships, from Kennedy Bay in the south, to Garners Beach in the north, a favourite spot for naturalists. The Edmund Kennedy walking track at the southern end of the beach is part beach, mangrove and rainforest. Several creeks empty their waters at Mission Beach and locals can often be found fishing for barramundi and mangrove jacks. Good fishing is also to be had at Clump Point jetty and the rock wall at Clump Point boat ramp. And for absolute seclusion, try Brooks Beach or Garners Beach at the northern end. It’s quite likely that you’ll catch a glimpse of the endangered Southern Cassowary in the rainforest around Mission Beach.
At Mission Beach, you will find a tranquil and very friendly tropical holiday township ideally suited to those who desire a true break from everyday life.
Activities and Experiences at Mission Beach
- Art and Craft making There is an art and craft shop located at Mission Beach where you are able to buy all the necessary items to entertain yourself for hours, be inspired by the beautiful surroundings.
- Birdwatching It’s little wonder with the pristine rainforest surrounding Mission Beach that it is a birdwatcher’s paradise. This region is home to the rare and beautiful Cassowary.
- Bushwalking This breathtaking rainforest area will captivate nature lovers. There are many rainforest walks in and around Mission Beach including the Edmund Kennedy Walk, Cutten Brothers Walking Track, Lacey Creek Walk and also the Bicton Hill Walk.
- Camping Camping facilities are available in Mission Beach or why not become one with nature and camp in a national park (permits must be obtained from national parks).
- Canoeing Mission beach is a great place for canoeing and it even has it’s own canoeing club.
- City Sightseeing
- Crabbing There are many spots where you can do a bit of crabbing in Mission Beach.
- Driving Mission Beach is a fabulous place for a drive, taking in the breathtaking scenery of the rainforest. It is also the home base of the regions rare and beautiful cassowary birds (visitors are asked to take extra care when driving in the area and keep an eye out for this endangered species).
- Fishing – Beach Mission Beach is a great place to try your luck at catching a fish on the beach.
- Fishing – Estuary The quiet estuaries of the coast are filled with mouth watering catches, the superb natural environment and weather conditions lift the experience into a class of its own.
- Fishing – Game Game Fishing is available by charter, or better still, bring you own boat and make Mission Beach your base to explore this magical fishing destination.
- Fishing – Deep Sea The Tropical North is a fishing and boating paradise. The lure of encounters with sports fish have long enticed recreational anglers to waters of the Coral Sea.
- Exercising Mission Beach is an ideal place if you wish to exercise. Take a hike through the spectacular rainforest (through environmentally friendly tracks) or swim in the ocean (in the stinger enclosures in summer) or go down to the local gym just to name a few things for you to do.
- Fruit Picking
- Gambling There is a TAB in Mission Beach.
- Game Playing Mission Beach has soccer, cricket, tennis and football, lots of activities to keep you entertained.
- Kayaking Kayaking is available at Mission Beach, this is a great way to enjoy the views of the coastline.
- Art Painting Grab some supplies from the local craft store and be inspired by the wondrous natural surroundings.
- Bush Tucker
- Animal Viewing In Mission Beach, you are able to view animals in their natural environment, for example, the regions rare and beautiful cassowary bird.
- Walking This breathtaking rainforest area will captivate nature lovers. There are many rainforest walks in and around Mission Beach including the Edmund Kennedy Walk, Cutten Brothers Walking Track, Lacey Creek Walk and also the Bicton Hill Walk.
- White Water Rafting 20 to 30 minute drive south of Mission Beach is Tully, which is the white water rafting capital of the Northern Tropics. This is a fabulous day adventure.
- Automatic Teller Machine
- Boat Ramp There is a boat ramp at Clump Point Jetty.
- Bottled Gas
- Coach Stop
- Currency Exchange
- Electronic Funds Transfer at Point Of Sale
- Public Bar
- Dog Kennels/Catteries
- Mechanical Services
- Medical Facilities
- National Park
- Post Office
- Public Telephone
- Sporting Facilities
- Takeaway Food
- Tennis Court
- Visitor Centres
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander There is one dance troupe that performs in and around Mission Beach.
- Active In Mission Beach you are able to swim, go fishing, canoeing, kayaking, play tennis or golf just to name a few things to do.
- Adventure For the thrill seekers, Mission Beach offers white water rafting, parasailing, jet skiing and skydiving.
- Beach Mission Beach has some of the most beautiful beaches in the Tropical North.
- Caravan and Camping There are many caravan and camping sites in Mission Beach to choose from.
- Eco Tourism Mission Beach is the ideal eco-tourism destination, being surrounded by lush tropical rainforests.
- Educational Pop into the Mission Beach Visitor Information Centre and ask the locals who work there about the beautiful environment that surrounds them.
- Fishing Game fishing, sports fishing and reef fishing are all available by charter, or better still, bring your own boat and make Mission Beach your base to explore this magical fishing destination.
- Flora and Fauna The rainforest of Mission Beach and the Wet Tropics have flora and fauna that have been found here for more than 100 million years, making this the oldest continually surviving rainforest on earth. As well as being the oldest rainforest, the flora and fauna are spectacular with beauty.
- Health and Fitness In Mission Beach you are able to swim, canoe, kayak, play tennis, golf or go to the gym just to name a few things to do. Why not enjoy a relaxing massage after all of this activity.
- Honeymoon Mission Beach is a very romantic location to escape to for your honeymoon. Stay at luxury accommodation, take pleasure in a relaxing massage, walk through the enchanting rainforest or if you are adventurous, enjoy the thrill of white water rafting.
- Indulgence/Luxury Take pleasure in a relaxing massage or sit by the pool of a resort sipping your mango daiquiri. These are just a couple of things that you can indulge in.
- Marine Mission Beach has the closest access from anywhere in North Queensland to the outer Great Barrier Reef. Daily trips to the reef will let you explore the magical marine life that the Great Barrier Reef has to offer.
- National Park The Mission Beach region is really one big national park. The rainforest and wildlife is beautiful.
- Nature based What better place for a nature based holiday than Mission Beach, being surrounded by lush world heritage listed rainforest and also the Great Barrier Reef.
- Nightlife Mission Beach has various restaurants and bars to cater for your nightlife needs as well as a small night club. These locations cater for all budgets and ages.
- Rainforest The rainforest of Mission Beach and the Wet Tropics have flora and fauna that have been found here for more than 100 million years, making this the oldest continually surviving rainforest on earth. As well as being the oldest rainforest, the flora and fauna are spectacular with beauty.
- Reef Mission Beach has the closest access from anywhere in North Queensland to the outer Great Barrier Reef. Daily trips to the reef, with snorkelling, diving, wreck diving, boom netting and glass bottom boat viewing are available, all tours depart from Clump Point.
- Relaxation The peaceful surroundings of Mission Beach makes it the ideal place to relax and unwind. Sit on a deserted beach and read your favourite novel whilst listening to the soothing waves or indulge in a massage.
- Romance Mission Beach is a very romantic location to escape. Stay at luxury accommodation, take pleasure in relaxing by the pool of your resort or walk through the enchanting rainforest.
- Soft Adventure Try your hand at kayaking or jet skiing.
- Water based Go fishing, canoeing, or sea kayaking, or if you want to actually get wet, take a cruise to the Great Barrier Reef where you can dive and snorkel with the amazing marine life. It doesn’t stop there in Mission Beach, try white water rafting or jet skiing if you are a little more adventurous.
- Wilderness The rainforest of Mission Beach and the Wet Tropics have flora and fauna that have been found here for more than 100 million years, making this the oldest continually surviving rainforest on earth. As well as being the oldest rainforest, the flora and fauna are spectacular with beauty.
- Wildflower The rainforests of the Mission Beach region are home to some spectacular wildflowers that have been around for many millions of years.
- Wildlife In the rainforests of Mission Beach lives some impressive wildlife, including the Cassowary, which is a magnificent bird and also the Ulysses butterfly.
- World Heritage The rainforest of Mission Beach and the Wet Tropics have flora and fauna that have been found here for more than 100 million years, making this the oldest continually surviving rainforest on earth. As well as being the oldest rainforest, the flora and fauna are spectacular with beauty.
- RTN, QH and National Distributors (TQ)
Nearest Airport: Cairns International and Cairns Domestic Airports
Accommodation In Mission Beach
Discover some of the accommodation in and around Mission Beach