The Ningaloo area borders the coast near one of Western Australia’s most treasured assets, the Ningaloo Reef which is located two hours’ drive north of Carnarvon.
Ningaloo Reef is not only Western Australia’s largest fringing coral reef, but one of the largest reefs worldwide that can be reached just by stepping off the beach. Here the mighty whale shark, the world’s largest fish, can be found from March through to June, feeding on coral spawn. Other magnificent marine animals that visitors can swim or dive with are manta rays, potato cod, sharks, dolphins, and turtles. Dugongs and the migratory Humpback whale can also be seen. Ningaloo also offers safe swimming on the long sandy beaches.
Ningaloo Marine Park stretches from Bundegi Reef in the Exmouth Gulf, around the North West Cape to Amherst Point 260 kilometres to the south. Established by the State and Commonwealth Governments in 1987, the park extends 10 nautical miles seaward and encompasses over 5,000 square kilometres of ocean. Zoning for fishing, diving and sanctuary areas fall within the marine park’s boundary, ensuring preservation of the environment.
Cape Range National Park, which borders the marine park, offers wilderness tenting and camping. Exmouth and Coral Bay offer hotels, motels, chalets, resorts, caravan and camping facilities and backpacker hostels. Food supplies, restaurants and cafes can be found in Exmouth and Coral Bay.
Activites and Experiences at Ningaloo
- Fishing – Beach
- Sightseeing Clients view the many sights of the area.
- Marine Animal swimming
- Animal Viewing
- Marine Animal watching
- Coach Stop
- Public Telephone
- Active Requiring energetic action by participant
- Adventure Unusual and exciting experience or an endurance race consisting of a variety of adventure activities
- Beach A beach attraction is a beach area that is recognised for its scenic beauty, recreational opportunities, environmental state, and/or fauna population. Recreational vehicles can be driven on a number of beaches around Australia
- Cruise To sail from place to place for pleasure
- Diving To go below the surface of the water or a diving competition in a swimming or diving pool
- Eco Tourism Relating to the natural environment, its protection and conservation. Product fitting this experiencee have been awarded an Eco Tourism Accreditation
- Educational Proving visitor with some type of instruction or learning experience
- Environmental Relating to the natural environment, its protection and conservation
- Fishing Related to any fishing activities
- Marine A location where visitors can observe whale sharks in their natural habitat
- National Park A national park is an area that is recognised for its natural features that are protected by controlled access and usage
- Nature based Relating to the natural environment
- Reef A reef is a ridge of rock or coral near the surface of the sea
Nearest Airport: Learmonth