Moonie, the oil capital of Queensland is a tiny settlement on the intersection of the Leichhardt and Moonie Highways.
This was Australia’s first commercial oil field, established in 1961, it still operates today and lufkins can be seen working nearby. Now the area is noted for its quality grain, cattle and prime lamb production.
Legend says that Captain Starlight once passed through the area on one of his escapades.
The Sports Club serves as the hub of the district’s social activities providing a range of sporting facilities.
Activites and Experiences at Moonie
- Camping Caravan and Camping area.
- Sports Participate Cricket, tennis, swimming, touch football and gun club.
- Swimming Local swimming pool.
- Accommodation Hotel and motel and a caravan and camping area.
- Electronic Funds Transfer at Point Of Sale
- Public Bar
- Public Telephone
- Swimming Pool
- Takeaway Food
- Tennis Court
- Caravan and Camping
- National Park Southwood National Park lies west of Moonie on the Moonie Highway.
- RTN, QH and National Distributors (TQ)
- Toowoomba & Golden West
Nearest Airport: Tara