Situated 15kms South from Penrith along Mulgoa Road this area was among the first outside Sydney to be settled by Europeans but it had been home to the Aboriginal Dharug tribe for thousands of years prior to settlement.
Amongst the first European settlers were the Cox family, known for building the first road across the Blue Mountains. The historic homes ‘Winbourne’, ‘Fernhill’, ‘Glenmore’ and ‘Fairlight’. Please note: These establishments are privately owned and public viewing is seldom allowed.
Enquire at the Penrith Valley Visitor Information Centre for maps and further information.
Highlights of the valley are:
* The Rock Lookout
* Rileys Mountain lookout (40 mins loop walk from the Rock lookout)
* The Peppercorn Cafe
* Settlers Receptions and Functions
* Li’l Treasures Homewares Gifts and Antiques
* Mt Schoenstatt Shrine (replica of a German Chapel)
* St Thomas Church and pioneer cemetery consecrated in 1838
* Mulgoa school building built 1883
* Glenmore Heritage Valley Country Club
* a slab cottage built 1870
* Gate to ‘Regentville’, destroyed by bushfire in 1864
* ‘Glenleigh’ built in 1887
* ‘Glenmore’ built 1825
* ‘Fernhill’ built in 1842
* St James Church and cemetery
* Winbourne – original home of William Cox and now a conference centre run by the Christian Brothers
Activities and Experiences at Mulgoa
Nearest Airport: Sydney Kingsford Smith Mascot