Roma is known as the cradle of Australia’s oil and gas industry and is a fitting location for the recently opened oil and gas museum. Roma was the very first site where oil and gas was discovered in Australia.
This museum is a living memorial to the industry, where you will find yourself intrigued by the collection of stories, photographs, facts and objects presented in the variety of fascinating multi media exhibits.
With something for all ages, the museum will take you on an absorbing journey from Australia’s first discovery of petroleum, through the boom and bust years of oil and gas exploration and on to today’s multi billion dollar industry. The spectacular night show is a must see for all visitors to Roma – it operates nightly. The museum complex houses a fully accredited Visitor Information Centre, Café and Shop.
Visit Roma’s winery, operating since 1863 it’s the oldest winery in Queensland.
Roma’s Cattle Sales are the largest in Australia and are held on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The raised walkways around the yards provide visitors with an excellent vantage point over the proceedings.
Visitors to Roma quickly become aware of the numerous bottle trees growing in town. Hero’s Avenue consists of more than 100 bottle trees – each representing a local soldier who lost his life in the great war of 1914/1918.
Roma is the only place to be each Easter for fun and some real country entertainment. Roma’s Easter in the Country Festival offers an action packed program for the whole family.
Roma is by no means a small town and has a great range of shops ideal for some retail therapy.
Activites and Experiences at Roma
- Trail bike riding Annual Trail Bike ride.
- Bushwalking Enjoy a bush walk to the top of Mt Abundance, just west of Roma.
- Camping There are three caravan parks in Roma. For a copy of the Fishing and Camping guide, call Toowoomba and the Golden West.
- Farm/Station activity
- Flora Take a stroll through the Bush Gardens and enjoy the exotic trees in Parkland settings.
- Gambling Poker Machines are available for your use the Hotels and Clubs.
- Motor racing Local Drag strip which holds regular events.
- Shopping Down town shopping in McDowall Street.
- Skiing – Water Seasonal water skiing at Lake Neverfill.
- Sports Participate Regular local sports.
- Sports Viewing Regular local sports.
- Swimming Cool off in the local Roma Swimming Pool.
- Tennis Enjoy a game of tennis at the local tennis courts.
- Train Ride
- Walking Take the Hospital Hill or the Historical walk through the town of Roma.
- Wine Tasting
- Airport Bitumen strip located three kilometres from town.
- Ambulance Roma Ambulance Service located on the corner of Bowen and Arthur Streets.
- Automatic Teller Machine ATM’s are available for the following banks-: National Australia Bank, Commonwealth, Westpac and Suncorp Banks.
- Banking Facilities
- Bottled Gas
- Chemist A Chemist can be located in Westland Plaza and McDowall Street.
- Licensed Club
- Service Club
- Coach Stop
- Convention Centre
- Currency Exchange Currency exchange is available at major banks.
- Electronic Funds Transfer at Point Of Sale The service of Electronic Funds Transfer at Point of Sale is available at most stores.
- Golf Enjoy a game at Roma’s 18 hole Golf Course.
- Hospital The Hospital is located in McDowall Street.
- Public Bar Public Bar located at Hotel.
- Dog Kennels/Catteries
- Mechanical Services There are numerous mechanical services located in Roma.
- Medical Facilities Doctors, Dentist, Ambulance and Hospital facilities are all available in Roma.
- Newsagent Find all you need at the two local Newsagencies.
- Police The Police Station is located in Queen Street.
- Post Office
- Public Telephone Public phones are located on various streets around Roma and one in McDowall Street.
- Rail Terminal The rail terminal can be located in Station Street.
- Places of Worship All major religions are available in Roma and there are seven churches.
- Aussie Lifestyle
- Caravan and Camping Contact Toowoomba and the Golden West for a copy of the Fishing and Camping guide.
- Industry/Mining, Agriculture Discover the history of the Gas Exploration
- Nature based
- Pub Stay
- RTN, QH and National Distributors (TQ)
Nearest Airport: Roma Airport